Tuesday 24 December 2013

What really matters in life.

I thought I had a good understanding of the true meaning of Christmas, I mean I'm 43 years of age so I know it's not about extravagant gifts or gestures or lavish food etc. But in recent years it had become about Oliver (my husband) and I going somewhere to have some time away from the whole hustle & bustle that Christmas has become. We usually headed away on the 26th and came back on the 31st or 1st. So I thought that I had learned that Christmas wasn't about rushing around buying gifts & food & buying into the whole 'feel' of Christmas.
Oliver & me - together 23 years.
Then on the 14th of December our 18 year old niece, Aoife, was involved in an horrific car accident and 10 days later she is still in a medically induced coma in the ICU in the RVH in Belfast. So finally this year I have found out what Christmas is really about - being with family & those you love. Spending time on Christmas Eve in the ICU with Aoife & her parents, sister & wider family puts it all into perspective. 
Aoife, at her formal earlier this year, was born a week before our wedding.
As my own parents live near the hospital we spent some time with them & my brother, his wife & their 4 girls. I hugged my nieces a little tighter this year as we said goodbye & asked Oliver to take a photo of me & my brother, because as we found out on the 14th of December you just never know what is round the corner.
My 4 nieces on Christmas Eve.
Me & my big brother, Paul.
The strength of support & good wishes that I have had from friends through social media has been overwhelming. It has provided a comfort for Aoife's parents to know so many people around the world care about what is happening to them.
Me, Martin & Lesley in Iceland
October 2013
I was so lucky this year to meet up with 2 people who had become good friends of mine online. Lesley & I have been chatting weekly via Skype or Google+ for almost 2 years & Martin, Lesley & I have been friends for 6 months or so. Meeting up in person in Iceland in October was amazing, it was brilliant to discover that we got on in real life just as well as we do online. In the past 6 weeks these 2 have been a great source of support to me as I faced, what seemed at the time, a really hard series of events. Now of course everything has been put into perspective by Aoife's accident. But I still really appreciate that Lesley & Martin were there for me & helped to cheer me up when I was feeling a little down. 

So appreciate those around you & make sure you tell them how much you love them & I ask that if you have some time over the next few days you send some positive thoughts & prayers Aoife's way. Thanks.

10 comments:

  1. Bless you. Thinking of your family and sending positive energy to your niece xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Niki & your post today brought a smile to my face, you have a fab way of writing xx

      Delete
  2. Big, big hugs to you and your family. I hope each day brings your niece and your family renewed resolve and forward progress. I was thinking about the dear attachments we have with family and friends this afternoon and here this is in my inbox. Each minute to be treasured. Cannot believe it has been two years! Well, here is to two plus 50 more! Merry Christmas and onwards and upwards in 2014 and beyond.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww hugs right back at you. Not sure I want to have a hangout with a 100 year old woman,

      Delete
  3. I can't imagine how you're coping with the tragic event but you know I'm thinking of you, I'm not a praying person, however I am talking to my higher powers and sending positive energy and love to all of you,
    Love from my boys and I xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alex, think Oliver has summed it up best, it's unsettling. Hugs to you & your boys xxx

      Delete
  4. Maria Herron25 December, 2013

    Aoife's accident is a reminder to us all of the fragility of life and how to take our health for granted. Praying that she makes a full recovery. Thanks for your lovely blog Kierna. Mx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true Maria, thanks for the lovely comments xx

      Delete
  5. So true, thoughts and prayers for Aoife and you all. x

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.